Homemade Dog Treats: Peanut Butter & Chicken Cookies
Author: Abbey Harris
No matter the size or breed of your dog, it’s HIGHLY likely they love peanut butter treats.
Natural Farm specializes in 100% natural treats and chews, sourced from a single supplier and always produced and packaged at their facility. QUALITY GUARANTEED. So if you can’t find the ingredient on a farm, you won’t find it in Natural Farm treats and chews.
With the above in mind, obviously, Natural Farms treats are great on their own because they’re tasty and truly natural, but they also make a great addition to homemade dog treat ingredient lists. Below is a recipe that combines things you likely have in your own pantry and Natural Farm Chicken Fillet Strips to create an extra special dog treat.
- 1 cup of NATURAL creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups of oat flour
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- ⅓ cup of oats
- ¾ cup of apple juice
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- 2-3 Natural Farm Chicken Fillet Strips
- 1 cup of warm water
We do have a couple of important notes on the ingredients to share:
- First, the recipe uses the Natural Farm Chicken Fillet Strips, but any of the lighter chew capacity treats can be substituted.
- If you don’t have a banana, you can use one large egg.
- With regard to the peanut butter, we say NATURAL peanut butter because it is safest for dogs. While most creamy peanut butter is safe for pets in small amounts and can be a good source of protein, healthy fats, vitamins B and E, and niacin, any peanut butter that contains xylitol—even in small amounts—can be unsafe for pets.
- We recommend oat flour because it is nutrient dense, gluten-free, and low in sugar. It’s also loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. If you don’t have oat flour, you can grind the oats you have in a food processor, but if you don’t want to do that, you can use whole wheat flour (though you should be aware that it can impact dogs with gluten or wheat sensitivity in much the same way it does people).
How to make these delicious cookies:
To make the treats, we need to soften the Natural Farm Chicken Filet Strips a bit. They don’t need to be mushy, but they need to be pliable and chopable. Pour the warm water into the small bowl and add the Natural Farm Chicken Fillet Strips.
While the Natural Farm Chicken Fillet Strips are softening, preheat your oven to 325 degrees and combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and oats) in the large mixing bowl. Use a fork to mix them well. Next add the apple juice and mashed banana and stir to coat the dry ingredients. Remove the Natural Farm Chicken Filet Strips from the water and pat dry with a paper towel before cutting into bite sized bits. Add the Natural Farm Chicken Filet Strips to the bowl. Last, add the peanut butter. You can use a mixer, but we recommend putting on cooking gloves and using your hands to mix everything into a dough. The mixture will be THICK, so you’ll have to put some muscle into it.
When the dough is well combined, empty it onto a flat, floured surface and use a floured rolling pin to roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness.
You can cut the dough into simple strips, or you can use cookie cutters in various shapes and sizes (depending on the size of your dog), but once they’re cut, you’ll arrange them on your cookie sheet so they aren’t touching. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned then flip them and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
(Christmas shaped cookie cutters make Pawfect Howliday snacks for your pooch)
When the treats are done, they should have puffed up a bit and be lightly browned. Be sure you allow them to cool down completely before serving them to your pup. Enjoy!